Google Translator

Friday, May 24, 2013

Facile Friday - A Fine Line

When I was a young kid, I use to have nightmares that I had no home and slept in a big box under a bridge.  It was a recurrent nightmare that I had for a couple of months and my parents spent lots of time reassuring me that it wouldn't happen.


As I got older, I remember going to the Chicago Food Depository with my mom and seeing all of the food that they had collected and that was being given out.  I was stunned that there were that many people who didn't have enough food to feed their family.

I aged a bit more and now I was moving here and there to various parts of the country and wherever I went there were people in need.  When I was 24 years old I worked with at risk youth, many of whom had stories of being homeless and living in their family's car while their parent worked 7 days a week.

The biggest thing that I have learned over the years is that, even though my parents told me not to worry about living in a box under a bridge, there is a very fine line between having the shelter of a home or apartment and being homeless.  Losing a job, exorbitant medical bills or a run of bad luck can set into motion the events that culminate in the loss of a home and the security it brings.

There are organizations all over the country that expend their energy and enthusiasm to educate the public about the people who struggle to keep their families together and secure.  The faces of the homeless look just like you and me; they are mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles and cousins.  They are, like you and me because they want to work and provide for their families, they want to go to school and get an education, they want to be happy and healthy...just like you and I.

We can all do something to make a difference in the lives of the homeless.  We can volunteer our time, donate food, clothing and money.  We can lend a hand to those who may not ask for it but will appreciate it.  No matter what city or town you live in, there is a place for you to go to help.  If you are in Chicago you can visit the Chicago Coalition for the Homeless (CCH).  There are a lot of other Chicago-based organizations that help the homeless but I can proudly say that my little brother gives his time to CCH.  He is doing a little fundraising right now and you can help him out by visiting his donation page here. Whether you give time, money or compassion be sure to give something because it makes a difference in the lives of all those mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles and cousins.


National Coalition for the Homeless

Homeless Assistance Leadership Organization - Racine, WI



Did you have a good time? Did you enjoy this post? Let me know and leave a comment. Share the post with your family and friends on your favorite social media or subscribe with an email address and help other people to discover Don’t Make Me Call My Flying Monkeys, that will help our little blog grow and our monkeys can keep doing what they do best - FLY. Thank you for all of your support. The Monkey Queen                             

No comments:

Other Post to Check Out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...