Google Translator

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Good Day!

All work and no play makes anyone a little dull, but what if you have the opportunity to create an environment of play by doing your work?

In my job, blah, blah, blah.  It is a job like any other job.  I do, however get to participate in planning a wonderful resource fair, once a year,  for persons with disabilities.  As a recreational therapist, I have an affinity for action oriented, experiential, opportunities for those who may be looking for something new and different.  This local resource fair is small but I think it has the desired impact on those who attend, it inspires them to be bold.

I have met some wonderful people too.

Andy works for the Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources as the ADA Accessibility Coordinator and is an avid kayaker.  He is also a C5-6 quadriplegic and travels the state making sure that everyone who can hear his voice, knows that there are opportunities out there to be adventurous regardless of your level of ability or mobility.  Check out the link above and you can see him in action.

Jeff is an AMAZING artist who does more with his mouth than I can with either of my hands!  He is inspiring to watch and I am envious of his talent.  If you want to learn more about what he and other artists like him do, visit the Mouth and Foot Painters Association of the US.

Then there were the Championship UW-Whitewater Warhawks.  WOOHOO!! The Warhawks are incredible athletes with madd skills!  Oh yea, and did I mention that they are pretty amazing human beings who are sharing their abilities and strength with everyone.  Man, I love this team!

There were also people there who offered opportunities for the disabled in scuba diving, equestrian sports, competitive sports, skiing, swimming, as well as a chance to see what kind of adaptive equipment might be available.

What a great day it was.  It is days like this that I love my job!

Please always remember and don't ever forget:

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
Maya Angelou

No comments:

Other Post to Check Out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...