Google Translator

Friday, March 4, 2011

Facile Friday - A riot act

Are you ready?!  I am gonna read you the riot act!

“Our sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains contained in the act made in the first year of King George, for preventing tumults and riotous assemblies. God save the King”

What did you think that I meant?  No, no, literally I am reading you the "Riot Act". 

OK, anyone who is a fan of the elustrious Governor of the State of Wisconsin may want to take a deep breath because I am going to introduce a little of my opinion into this Facile Friday post and it is usually expressed through humor.

I was watching the news and Mr. Walker is everywhere you look, which is a bit annoying to me, and all I could think about was how much I would love to get Scott Walker in a room and "read him the riot act".  Yea!  *pause*    What the heck does that really mean?  I had no idea, so I went looking and guess what I found!?  I found a very appropriate story to tell.

THE RIOT ACT
The Riot Act was first introduced in England in 1715. The new act offered local authorities a way to disperse unlawful gatherings of more than 12 people when they began to congregate in the streets.  Are you thinking Madison, WI?  You see, the Jacobite Catholics, opposed to the new Hanovarian King George I (See Scott Walker), were becoming a threat and the government was getting very nervous so they created the Riot Act to help them regain their power and crush the potential threat.  The act required the local magistrate to read a proclamation aloud to the crowd that included the stern warning that you read upon entering this post but here it is one more time as a refresher.

“Our sovereign Lord the Governor of Wisconsin chargeth and commandeth all persons being assembled in this capital, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably say goodbye to their collective bargaining units, or to their Badgercare coverage, upon the pains contained in the act made in the first month of Governor Walker's regime, for preventing tumults and riotous assemblies. God save ScottWalker”

Pic from www.indyposted.com
OK, so I had a little fun with that second one, but you get the idea.  In England, if you did not follow the dispersal order after it was read you would be in a world of hurt.  They could haul you off and throw you in prison with hard labor for what could be 2 years.  The bright side about Lord Walker's act is that, unlike George I who just threw you in prison and made you break rocks, Scott has a bit of a softer touch.  He will hold your paycheck, fine you $100 for every day that you are not in the Senate, not let you park in your   parking space, oh yea, and he won't let your staffers make copies!  Suffice to say, Scott Walker is no King George I, even though he is trying really, really hard.
Please always remember and don't ever forget:

“Victory is won not in miles but in inches. Win a little now, hold your ground, and later, win a little more.”


Louis L'Amour
Fight on Wisconsin!









Did you have a good time? Did you enjoy this post? Let me know and leave a comment. Share the post with your family and friends on your favorite social media or subscribe and help support Flying Monkeys. If you go to StumbleUpon using the icon on the right and click the “I Like it” button(it’s free), you help other people to discover Don’t Make Me Call My Flying Monkeys and that will help our little blog grow and our monkeys can keep doing what they do best - FLY. Thank you for all of your support. The Monkey Queen                             

No comments:

Other Post to Check Out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...