Google Translator

Sunday, March 6, 2011

An Oldie but a Goodie

It was cold and snowy and I was cozied up and reading when I started to thumb through a 1922 Good Housekeeping Cookbook of mine.
I love old books, they give a snapshot of the time in which they were printed.  In this book's case, they give you some interesting recipes, homemaker tips, freaky old photos and strange copyright details about translating the text into foreign languages.  We could always start with one of the old photos.  When I say 'Old photo" I am speaking in relative terms.  To us it is old but back then this was some crazy modern stuff going on over there at Good Housekeeping. So, 1922. What did a kitchen look like in 1922?


Oh how modern!  I think I need to start cooking in a dress and those lace up boot/shoes like they wore back then.    But what would I cook?
Does anyone have a few pigeons I can borrow?








I did find a recipe that I thought I might try.  It was for orange cookies and since I had all of the ingredients, I was going to give it a trial run.  It was a weird recipe and I had to make a few alterations to make it something other then a dry lumpy pile of barely damp sand.  A little extra water and closely watched baking yielded an incredibly orangey and chewy cookie.  Nice 1922!




You can find the recipe, with my alterations here.  If citrus is your thing you will love these!








Did you have a good time? Did you enjoy this post? Let me know and leave a comment. Share the post with your family and friends on your favorite social media or subscribe and help support Flying Monkeys. If you go to StumbleUpon using the icon on the right and click the “I Like it” button(it’s free), you help other people to discover Don’t Make Me Call My Flying Monkeys and that will help our little blog grow and our monkeys can keep doing what they do best - FLY. Thank you for all of your support. The Monkey Queen                             

1 comment:

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love the photos and the recipe. I hope you have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

Other Post to Check Out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...