Google Translator

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

From Soup to Nuts

I have a tendency to go overboard, but the whole reason that I do this is to wander to places that I wouldn't otherwise go . Another Daring Cooks adventure begins....
Stock to soup to consomme.  I will tell you that when I think of consomme I think of a gelatinous beef stuff that was generally served cold.  I will also tell you that it makes my stomach turn.  Here is why...

I was first given cold beef consomme when I was probably 16 years old and told that it was jello.  This turned out to be a cruel thing, as I raised the spoon to my lips expecting one thing and getting beef!  Needless to say, I stayed away from gelatinous foods that were anything but artificial jello-y colors.

I saw consomme in the challenge and freaked out a bit but I read all of the post and decided that it really wasn't what I thought so an attempt was required.  First, I wanted to run out into left field and make something a little bit off of the radar....Bua Loi would fill the bill.


Bua Loi is a Thai dessert that consists of a coconut cream base and cute little glutenous rice balls tinted to make them fun and festive.  I filled the large rice ball with chocolate chips just to be interesting and to make sure that my 6 year old would at least try it.  If you are texturally challenged then glutenous rice balls may not be for you but the "broth" is to die for!  I have been thinking that it is so good I could turn it into a coconut sorbet.

Well, now I have procrastinated long enough and I need to tackle this challenge on the savory side.  I thought that pork would be my flavor of choice.  Most of the recipes that I could find were Asian influenced and I wanted a more soul food flavor so I took my cue from an old fashioned collard greens recipe.  Ham hocks and pork butt would do nicely with a tiny bit of fatback.  Pork 3 ways would be my goal.

A little bit of this, a little bit of that, a lot of pepper flakes, leaks, garlic, and a mirepoix made up my flavor profile.  All of this yummy stuff cooked for 6 hours and it turned into this amazing stock with a little spicy kick.  The pork butt was so tender that all it could do was fall apart into succulent strands but I managed to deal with it.






So there is the stock to soup but what about this consomme thing?  My fridge is infamously crammed with stuff so anything that caused me to have to make room in the fridge was out of the question.....raft technique it is!  But first, here is the before picture of the stock.


Stock before clarification




I used 4 egg whites and shredded a carrot into it.  Then, into the pot with the whole frothy mess.  I have to admit that I got a little nervous after a while had passed and it seemed like nothing was happening.  "Oh crap!  This doesn't look like it is working."  Suddenly, with hardly any warning this carroty cap started to form on the top of the soup in the pot.  I followed the directions and never let it boil and the raft got firm and the stock started to clear.  I was stunned by the result.  It was clear and a great color.  Did I mention that it tasted excellent!?  Pork three ways.  I had the pork consomme what next?
Consomme after clarification
I used the pork meat that I used to make the stock with some of the veggies and spices to make spicy wontons, toasted mini sweet peppers, and then braised salt pork to add to the consomme.



The final product was really good.  I was surprised at how flavorful it was, and with the wonton, peppers and salt pork it was a treat.  Add in some crusty bread and I wished that this was less time consuming so that I could make it more often.  Certainly worth the effort.  The family shared in the finished product and decided that the consomme would make a great cocktail.  The only argument came when they were trying to decide what type of liquor would be best.   


This was a great challenge!  I learned so much and had a hell of a good time doing it.  Thanks again Peta for a heap o' fun!  You can find the recipes below.


Pork Stock    Print Stock recipe

Ingredients


2-3 lb. Pork Butt
3 pork hocks (I did not used smoked ham hocks)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 leeks, cut into large segments
3 large carrots, cut into large pieces
3 stalks of celery, cut into large pieces
1 large onion, cut in quarters
2 bulbs of garlic, cut in half
3 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon thyme
1 Tablespoon pepper flakes 
4 cups water
4 cups chicken broth

In a large stock pot, brown pork hocks and pork butt then remove and set aside.  Add oil  to pot and saute garlic bulds just till they are browned on the cut edges.  Add the meat back to the pot along with all of the cut veggies and spices, then add in all of the liquid and allow the pot to simmer for 6-7 hours.  Skim off fat and strain out solids.  To serve soup, add stock to a bowl and add in some of the meat and veggies.







Peta, of the blog Peta Eats, was our lovely hostess for the Daring Cook’s September 2011 challenge, “Stock to Soup to Consommé”. We were taught the meaning between the three dishes, how to make a crystal clear Consommé if we so chose to do so, and encouraged to share our own delicious soup recipes!


Did you have a good time? Did you enjoy this post? Let me know and leave a comment. Share the post with your family and friends on your favorite social media or subscribe and help support Flying Monkeys. If you go to StumbleUpon using the icon on the right and click the “I Like it” button(it’s free), you help other people to discover Don’t Make Me Call My Flying Monkeys and that will help our little blog grow and our monkeys can keep doing what they do best - FLY. Thank you for all of your support. The Monkey Queen                             

12 comments:

The Garlic Press said...

Congratulations on the challenge. Your consomme turned out so beautifully clear.

Audax said...

Your Bua Loi looks so delicious and looks exquisite. And the beef is perfect great job on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

David and Stacy said...

Awesome result, well done!

Your pork interpretation almost tempts us to have another go. But only almost...

Stay JOLLY!
D

Makey-Cakey said...

And inspiring selection of soups - such lovely sounding flavours :o)

shelley c. said...

Awesome job on the challenge, especially considering your inauspicious introduction to consomme... Very well done! (and that first soup looks so fun and tasty!!!)

Monkeyshines in the Kitchen said...

Lovely job with the consomme - it looks utterly gorgeous. Thank goodness we don't have to eat it cold though - even knowing it isn't going to be jell-o, I'd really rather have a nice steaming bowl of that wonton soup!

chef_d said...

Oooh that soup looks delicious! It looks so beautiful too. Love what you've done with pork, excellent job!

Don't Make Me Call My Flying Monkeys! said...

Thanks all for the kind words. I am such a sucker for a comment of any kind that I wait patiently for the 14th of the month so that I can do a giddy little dance to celebrate all of my new comments.
Loved this challenge and all of the fabulous recipes that I have access to as the weather here gets cooler!

Jo said...

Um, yes. Pork consomme and salty, delicious pork belly? I am all over that, fabulous job!

Anonymous said...

Who played that cruel joke on you with the jelly and consomme?
sounds like something my brother would do lol
Glad you got over it and did this amazing job on the challenge

Andy said...

Great job!! It looks amazing.

Unknown said...

This was one of my favorites, great job your consomme looks perfect and the accompaniments sound so good. I am drooling on my keyboard

Other Post to Check Out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...