Google Translator

Thursday, June 14, 2012

I think I can, I think I can, I think I cannelloni

A neatly wrapped little package of deliciousness was what I had in store.


The Daring Cooks Challenge this month was cannelloni and I was so down for this one.  
First: I love pasta around anything.
Second: I have had some amazing cannelloni in the past and could capitalize on those experiences.
Third: I know that I could get my 7 year old to help with the pasta making part.


Look out internet here I come!  I went on a quest to find the most mouthwatering recipes for what to put inside of my pasta and ran across this recipe from Ile de France.  One look at this recipe and I was sold....spinach, pistachios and pancetta all bound together with the creamy heaven that is brie!  Seriously!  For me, this recipe screamed for a little more than a tomato sauce so I did a homemade bolognese sauce to make it an over the top dish and I was soooooooooo happy with the result. 


A short aside on the bolognese recipe I used.  I found this website that had the following information, " On October 17, 1982, the Bolognese chapter of the Accademia Italiana della Cucina, "after having carried out long and laborious investigations and conducted studies and research" announced the following recipe to be the official one."  Well, that is pretty official sounding isn't it?  I am sure that a good bolognese sauce is made differently in every home regardless of if it is in Italy or anywhere else but I had to try this "official" version.  I will say that this version was, in my long studied and exhaustively researched opinion, was one of the finest I have ever tasted so it is going in my recipe box!

The bolognese actually worked well to take the rich brie and tone it down but still allow the flavor to eek into every bite.  Holy frijoles it was yummy.




Next up was a cannelloni with a white sauce so I went with a parmesan, prosciutto and spinach stuffing with an emmental cheese bechamel.  AHHHHHHHH!  If I didn't mind the calories I could eat these all day long!  They were so good and the bechamel...well....I considered making enough to bath in.

This challenge was yet another great one among many.  Thanks to Manu from Manu's Menu for a fun and tasty assignment.  Be sure to check out all of the other inspired dishes at Daring Kitchen.


Bolognese Sauce Recipe


Spinach and Proscuitto Cannelloni with Emmental Bechamel


Brie, Pancetta and Pistachio Cannelloni 











Manu from Manu’s Menu was our Daring Cooks lovely June hostess and has challenged us to make traditional Italian cannelloni from scratch! We were taught how to make the pasta, filling, and sauces shared with us from her own and her family’s treasured recipes!


Did you have a good time? Did you enjoy this post? Let me know and leave a comment. Share the post with your family and friends on your favorite social media or subscribe with an email address and help other people to discover Don’t Make Me Call My Flying Monkeys, that will help our little blog grow and our monkeys can keep doing what they do best - FLY. Thank you for all of your support. The Monkey Queen                             

9 comments:

Anna said...

Great looking cannelloni! Very nice photos!
Pozdrawiam, Anula.

Olga said...

Wow, great components for cannelloni - just impossible to fail with pistachios, brie and pancetta (shame on me I don't eat meat) but still.. you make me want to try this one. Thanks for inspiring and informative post!

Claudia said...

Boy, your ingredient combinations sound seriously good. I actually got some brie to use for my zucchini filling, then decided to save it - to savor on its own.

chef_d said...

Wow, love love your flavor combinations! I will definitely check out the "official" bolognese sauce recipe. Great job!

shelley c. said...

Wow. Spinach, pistachios, pancetta and brie. Drool worthy. Sounds outstanding. Both versions look amazing. Really great job!

Anonymous said...

It is a daring cook that invites her parental units to feast on her experimental comestibles. And we enjoyed them both. They bathed the nose and taste bud with subtly nuanced flavors. But the crown on these kingly delights was the bolognese sauce which got the Monkey Queen's attention for hours.

Thanks to the MQ for a gourmet meal we won't soon forget.

Jenni said...

Holy crap! Brie and pancetta?!?!?! I'm coming over, right now! :) Both of your cannelloni look superb, and you did a wonderful awesome job! You have me wanting more!

Ruth Ellis said...

Brie, Pancetta and Pistachio sounds like a mind blowing cannelloni! It looks pretty stunning too - fantastic challenge!

Tisa Jacob said...

Your cannelloni is a work of art indeed...pancetta, pistachios and brie...yummo in a decadent sort of way. I might steal this from you. Well done on this awesome challenge.
BTW- great blog you have here- I love the name :))

Other Post to Check Out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...