Google Translator

Friday, September 7, 2012

Facile Friday - Elvis Lives

So I was cleaning in my house the other day and guess who I ran across, right there in my house!?  Elvis!
In the 1980's and 90's I was living in northern California.  I grew up in the Midwest so the west coast was like another planet in some ways, but I found a group of people that made my life a whole lot of fun.  I was looking for something new to do and stumbled on outrigger paddling with a club called Hui Wa'a o' San Jose.  The first time I met them they were a fairly serious bunch of paddlers and they took me out on  Lake Cunningham to see if I could put a paddle in the water in a way that was somewhat workable.  The first time I paddled that giant canoe, I was hooked. I had paddled since I was a kid but had never been in a six man Hawaiian outrigger canoe in my life.  What a great experience it was to glide through the water at breakneck speed.

The people were friendly and amazingly welcoming and the outrigger culture was one of camaraderie, it was a family that embraced you and swept you up while it cared and nurtured you.  I enjoyed every moment that I paddled and occasionally dream about an outrigger canoe club here, in Wisconsin.

So Elvis......Elvis was my paddle when I was with Hui Waa.  I would like to introduce to you, Elvis!  Elvis is a small token of a wonderful time in my life and it holds small messages from the people that I will remember always.






Elvis was indeed, as the message says, created with power tools.  I had to refinish my paddle because it had gotten beat up over a couple of years of paddling.  I had one of those temporary tattoos of a young Elvis and I wondered if I could varnish it into the finish.  When the tattoo idea worked I also decided to add the cartoon yak canoeing across the moon from the Ren and Stimpy show.  When I finally left California Elvis was signed by many of the people that I had paddled with and that is where their messages still lie.  What a great thing to be able to visit this and remember all of the fun and challenge I experienced.














Did you have a good time? Did you enjoy this post? Let me know and leave a comment. Share the post with your family and friends on your favorite social media or subscribe with an email address and help other people to discover Don’t Make Me Call My Flying Monkeys, that will help our little blog grow and our monkeys can keep doing what they do best - FLY. Thank you for all of your support. The Monkey Queen                             

No comments:

Other Post to Check Out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...