Google Translator

Friday, August 9, 2013

Facile Friday - Berry Heaven Remembered

I know that it is August but I really wanted to revisit the end of June because it was a beautiful month for berries.  I am looking to dig out some of the strawberries that I froze and was thinking about some of the delicious things that got made earlier in the summer.


2 years ago we planted six strawberry plants and this spring our berry patch measures about 8 feet by 8 feet square.  We had an unbelievable harvest of strawberries, even with all of our wild critters visiting to steal a few for themselves.



Fresh harvested berries just don't last as long as the ones that you get in the store.  I assume that is because we arepicking them when they are most ripe and not before.  So here are a couple of the things that I did with our windfall of berries.

First came strawberry muffins and I will tell you that they were far too good to last more than a few minutes, so I had to make a few batches to keep the natives happy.



Here is the recipe for these muffins, but I am warning you to make more than one batch!

Fresh Strawberry Muffins

While my family was lounging on the couch with bellies full of muffins, I decided to make a fresh strawberry pie to use more of those mouth-watering fruit.



I had an idea for something other than a graham cracker crust and I would say it was a success in taste but far too loose to hold the pie together well.  Don't get me wrong, this pie was crazy good witht he failed crust and I think with a slight tweak the crust issues could be resolved.




I have since made some adjustments to the crust recipe.  Originally, I used Anna's Ginger Thins because I love them, but they weren't hardy enough to not become mushy when the strawberries were put in the crust.  Using those super crunchy ginger snaps makes it all better.  Here is the recipe for the Freah Strawberry Pie with a Ginger Snap Crust.

Whether you use fresh or frozen, you have to give these recipes a try because they are far too good to just enjoy them through photos.









Did you have a good time? Did you enjoy this post? Let me know and leave a comment. Share the post with your family and friends on your favorite social media or subscribe with an email address and help other people to discover Don’t Make Me Call My Flying Monkeys, that will help our little blog grow and our monkeys can keep doing what they do best - FLY. Thank you for all of your support. The Monkey Queen                             

2 comments:

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day I Know HOW fast time is flying, (like your monkeys lol) true!
Your strawberry muffins look delightful and wish I could come through the computer screen and try one now too!
Cheers! Joanne
http://www.facebook.com/whatsonthelist

Don't Make Me Call My Flying Monkeys! said...

Thanks Joanne! The monkeys were very flattered that you commented on their flight speed. You need to try the muffins because they are fabulous!

Other Post to Check Out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...