Google Translator

Monday, October 14, 2013

Wrappin' it all up

In August of 2010, the Daring Cooks took on a pierogi challenge.  I was not part of the Daring Kitchen back then but I have always wanted to make pierogi and this month was my chance.
I did lots of research and the best sounding pierogi dough was made with sour cream, so that is the one that I used.  It was a really tender dough, though I some issue with getting it as thin as I thought it should be.  Next time, I decided that I would use my pasta roller to make the dough thin enough to support the filling but not be so dominant.

I made a mashed potato filling with green onions, bacon, cheddar and some more of that sour cream.


Yummy!!  All pierogi are boiled but I happen to love when they are pan fried after they are boiled.  I am a big fan of the crispy crusty parts and look.....more sour cream, this time with garlic chives from my herb garden.



Overall, I was very happy with the way that my pierogi turned out and was inspired by them to do another wrapped food.  Eggrolls!  It may be odd to have pierogi AND egg rolls but sometimes you just have to go with your inspiration.


I made a chicken egg roll with broccoli slaw, cabbage and a hoisin peanut sauce.  Again, super yummy. Ohhhhhh, and I had a few wrappers left over so...... 


I looked around the kitchen and found bananas, chocolate chips and peanut butter. 



I enjoyed this challenge because I got to dive into a couple of things that I have always wanted to try. Thanks Lisa for throwing this challenge out into the void so that we could find the perfect challenge for ourselves.











In a "celebration" of past Daring Cooks and Daring Bakers challenges, Lisa challenged all of us to search through the Daring Kitchen archives and pick any one we'd like! The REAL challenge was picking which delicious recipe(s) to try!




Did you have a good time? Did you enjoy this post? Let me know and leave a comment. Share the post with your family and friends on your favorite social media or subscribe with an email address and help other people to discover Don’t Make Me Call My Flying Monkeys, that will help our little blog grow and our monkeys can keep doing what they do best - FLY. Thank you for all of your support. The Monkey Queen                             

3 comments:

Lothluin said...

mmmm, I can see these with a bloodymary, perfect hangover cure. They look delicious!

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day! Love pierogies and yours looks YUM, true!
Congrats on completing this month's challenge...am a tad behind, but will be posting soon too!
Cheers! Joanne

Monkeyshines in the Kitchen said...

I love those pierogis with the 'loaded baked potato' filling - and totally agree on the pan frying! Great job digging into the archives...

Other Post to Check Out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...