Google Translator

Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Few Ideas for the Holidays

Thanksgiving is over now and the holidays begin in earnest in the world of retail.

Years ago, when I worked for a large chain drug store that we referred to as Wally World, I learned to dread the holidays.  They meant that I would be working crazy hours, dealing with crazy people and spending most of my time creating and recreating the Christmas aisles as they were ravaged by customers.  I hated the holidays and it took me many years and a C-section to have that attitude change in any major way.  I still avoid going to malls or having to shop in stores and this means that I have to find other ways of giving.


Heifer International

One year I gave some members of my family a flock of ducks for Christmas.  I am sure that you know the saying, "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime."  I love that idea so I went through Heifer International and bought a flock of ducks so that someone in an impoverished part of the world could eat and make a living by raising those duck and using their down, eggs, and babies as an income producing source.  I learned about Heifer International years ago when my workplace bought an actual cow!  Now that was really cool.  So, if you are out of ideas and want to give a gift that might be a little bit different then you usually give, how about a llama!?


ThinkGeek Soundtrack Shirt
 I have often thought that I need a soundtrack.  Really!  A soundtrack to play over my daily routines to keep them from getting too humdrum.  Maybe one morning while brushing my teeth it would be fun to have that ominous background music playing that makes you think that something horrific is about to transpire but all that happens is I am done brushing my teeth.  Did I tell you that I invented the musical toilet seat?  Well, I did but someone else made one before me!  I also invented the personal life track but again I was beat to the punch.  Either way, you CAN put a soundtrack to your daily life and maybe perk it up a bit. Just get yourself a personal soundtrack shirt from ThinkGeek.  They say it started as a joke for April Fool's Day but people actually wanted one, so they made them and the rest is my stolen dream of fame......I mean...never mind.


Looking for that unique and socially conscious gift is always fun.  If this is how you roll, then go wander Global Exchange and The Hunger Site. Global Exchange is a human rights organization that sells items, often created by local craftsmen and women under Fair Trade agreements.  The Hunger Site is an hunger organization, fighting the problem of World Hunger by using fair trade agreements with local people to support their message and provide additional funds to support their mission.  These sites have some truly unique gifts created by local craftsmen and women from Asia, Africa, Latin America, and other parts of the world.  It is a great way to feel good about the gifts that you are giving this season.  If you happen to be at The Hunger Site, you can also check out the Breast Cancer, Child Health, Literacy, Rain forest, and Animal Rescue areas of their website.

You know how you feel ladies when a good looking man is holding a wee little baby?  Well, how about a hot guy and a baby animal?  Stupid.com can make sure that this fantasy is fulfilled with their Hot Guy and Baby Animal Calendar.  What can I say?  A topless muscle-bound man holding a goat, Wow!

I have one more donor type of gift and it is a really excellent one.  Donorschoose.org is an organization that lets you pick where your money goes, but it goes to help schools and children who live in areas that have a high poverty rate.  You might donate for books, AV equipment, school supplies, tutoring sessions or special education tools.  You can give a lot or a little because every penny counts and makes a difference in the lives of a child or children who don't have access to resources in their community.


Just a few things that I like in this holiday season, so don't be surprised if you happen to get a gaggle of geese or an overhead projector for Mrs. Jones classroom.


Please always remember and don't ever forget:
"Christmas is a necessity.  There has to be at least one day of the year to remind us that we're here for something else besides ourselves."
Eric Sevareid

No comments:

Other Post to Check Out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...