Google Translator

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Suave and De-boned

This has been one of my favorite Gary Larson (The Far Side) cartoons forever and now I have learned to create my own boneless chicken friends and I can't express my joy at this fact.


The Daring Cooks challenge this month was to de-bone a bird of some kind and make a Galantine or Ballotine which is de-boned poultry that has been stuffed with whatever you can think of.

The first order of business was to learn how to de-bone a bird.  This  de-boning process was easier than I thought but still quite the task.  I had a great video as a reference and thanks to Jacques Pepin, I went on a de-boning frenzy.  I was on a roll and proceeded to make 1 chicken and 3 Cornish hens a little on the floppy side.  My Cornish hen escapade had the privilege of being turned into a video (sped up x8) because that is the ONLY way that I could bone a chicken in 2 minutes or less.  Jacques is the man!  Wanna see the video?  OK.



The hens got de-boned and then I got to stuff them.  For my son, we stuffed it with provolone and ham, 

my husband and I get hens with bacon and asparagus.

I browned all the hens in a pan and then added potatoes, onions and chicken broth then let them braise till they were tender and juicy.  






Thanks to Lisa from Parsley, Sage and Sweet for a really great challenge.   I feel like I have learned to do something really useful.  Be sure to check out what all of the other daring cooks have done at the Daring Kitchen.













For the April Daring Cooks Challenge, Lisa from Parsley, Sage and Sweet has challenged us to debone a whole chicken, using this video by Jacques Pepin as our guide; then stuff it, tie it and roast it, to create a Chicken Ballotine.



Did you have a good time? Did you enjoy this post? Let me know and leave a comment. Share the post with your family and friends on your favorite social media or subscribe with an email address and help other people to discover Don’t Make Me Call My Flying Monkeys, that will help our little blog grow and our monkeys can keep doing what they do best - FLY. Thank you for all of your support. The Monkey Queen                             

8 comments:

Renata said...

LOL.... Love your 2 minute technique for deboning :D
Now, seriously, your hens are perfect and I love your stuffing ideas. A great job on the challenge!

Lisa said...

1. I LOVE the name of your blog - SO much. 2. Awesome Gary Larson cartoon! May I pilfer it to add to my challenge post? With a link to you, of course, 3. Your video is just phenomenal! You deboned it so cleanly - the interior is smooth and lovely, like Jacques'! 4. You are a rock star, cheese and ham, bacon and asparagus game hens? YES! Thanks so much for taking part in my challenge!

Ruth Ellis said...

Amazing - love the video :-) Great job though - it took me about an hour! And your finished results look delicious.

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day! I LOVED your 2 minute video and the name of your blog too!
Thanks for the chuckle re Gary's cartoon before my first cuppa (coffee too!)
At least we all can laugh about the experience together!
Can there be any more food fun that's better!
PS GREAT stuffing too! Your end result came out great! WHOO HOO!
Cheers! Joanne

Audax said...

Just LUVUVUVUV that video it really shows the whole process so well, and I like how you did different fillings as well. And I agree ballotine is a great technique to have under your sleeve. The final birds look so delicious well done. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Sawsan@chef in disguise said...

I really loved your video! and I too had great fun this month. Love the different fillings you did. I can't wait to make this again and try different fillings

Ana M. Adserías said...

Your chicken looks delicious!!!
I loved the image at the beginning loool

barb said...

Love it! The stuffing choices look great and NOW I know, thanks to you, how to debone a chicken in two minutes! Brilliant! :D

Other Post to Check Out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...