Google Translator

Monday, April 22, 2013

Forgotten Friday - A Field Trip for Mom

This is a clip art file, not our stream but it is a nice one!
This post is the latest post that I have ever written but it has been a pretty good week and my weekend has kept up the trend.  Let me just say that this doesn't happen all that often so I enjoyed it.  Wanna know what the BEST day was?  Good, cause I am gonna tell you.

Every morning, Monday through Friday, I wake up and go to work while my son goes to school.  Sometimes I get a wistful feeling when I think about the fact that I can't volunteer to chaperon school trips or activities because I have to work.  On Friday, April 19 I didn't have any regret or longing because I took the day off of work to participate in a third grade field trip to do water testing on an adopted river.

I had signed up to run a testing station because, in a past life I studied marine biology with my eyes on a career as a research biologist.  Although the college track changed, my love of science and hands on learning has not and I enthusiastically took on the roll of pH testing station leader.  Soon enough, forty third graders descended on the mouth of the Prairie river where it empties into Lake Michigan and the fun began.

Now, before I go any further I want to explain a little about what it was that these kids were doing at this river.  Three years ago on another 3rd grade field trip one of the students interrupted the teacher to explain about water quality.  The teacher was stunned at his knowledge and, on further investigation, discovered that his family participated in a Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources program where regular citizen volunteers are taught to test water in rivers, lakes and streams all over the state.  All of this data is then entered into a public database where the DNR can monitor the health of waterways in Wisconsin.  The WAV program is an amazing program that lets regular people contribute to the health of waterways in the state.

Back to our third graders...


Standing in the shallow rocky mouth of the stream, students tested pH and oxygen saturation levels, turbidity, air and water temperature and biotic index.  They wore all manner of "water proof" boots and some even had hip waders but I don't think that any stayed very dry.  Really, what is life if not an excuse to run around in a river or stream and get muddy and wet.  

I quizzed the kids when they came to me to see if they knew what pH tested for and they did pretty well at remembering acid or base.  They also did a great job of testing.  They got to use a pH meter that had probes that you swirled around in the water and they all seemed to have fun doing that.

I stood in that river for about 3 hours and could have stood there for 3 more, it was that much fun.  I really enjoyed being able to participate in a school activity with my son and I hope that he liked having me there.  I wish I had more time to take so that I could do more field trips buts this one should carry me for a while.











Did you have a good time? Did you enjoy this post? Let me know and leave a comment. Share the post with your family and friends on your favorite social media or subscribe with an email address and help other people to discover Don’t Make Me Call My Flying Monkeys, that will help our little blog grow and our monkeys can keep doing what they do best - FLY. Thank you for all of your support. The Monkey Queen                             

No comments:

Other Post to Check Out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...