Google Translator

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Little Twist on a Southern Classic

New Chicken and waffles
Redux, southern style!
It all started with my son wanting cranberry waffles.    Hmmm, what could I do with cranberry waffles that would be a bit more dinnery?

One of my sinful favorites is chicken and waffles.  I have to honesty say, I never really got the concept but I love the combination.  So here is what I decided to do, a redux of traditional chicken and waffles.







Here is what happened. Cranberry waffles were first on the list and just required the addition of cranberry sauce to the batter before cooking them.   Next, sautee an onion till it is tender then I added sliced chicken breast.







Cook this a few minutes on each side and then I added the zest and juice of an orange.






Then I cooked the chicken till it was browned and cooked all the way through and removed it from the pan.





Next it was time to add in some chicken stock, thyme, and some of the homemade cranberry sauce that was in the waffles.  All those yummy pieces parts got scraped off the bottom of the pan and made the most sumptuous saucey gravy.

Then you put the chicken back into the pan with the sauce and simmer for a few minutes.  I finished the whole thing off by plating the chicken and sauce over the cranberry waffles with a small dollop of the cranberry sauce and a bit of brie on top.  I have to say that it was fabulous!  Not one little bit survived the onslaught.  I am going to add this one to the keeper book.

Give it a try, it is totally worth it!  The recipe goes something like this:
Not the most beautiful thing in the world but Oh so yummy! 

Chik n Waffle Redux     Printable Version
2 large skinless breasts, sliced
1 medium onion
1 orange, zest and juice
1 cup chicken or veggie  stock
1/4 cup cranberry sauce
1/2 teaspoon thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
Cranberry Waffles

Sautee onion then add chicken, orange zest and juice.  Cook till chicken is cooked through and golden.  Remove chicken from pan and set aside.  Add stock to pan and scrape up tasty bits.  Add cranberry sauce to pan and simmer till thickened.  Add chicken back to pan and simmer for a few more minutes adding salt and pepper to taste.  to plate the dish, lay down 2 quarters of a 4 square waffle and top with the chicken and sauce.  Garnish with small slices of brie cheese and a dollop of cranberry sauce and serve immediately.

3 comments:

MomsInSchoolBlog said...

I just had chicken & waffles for the first time this summer, had heard about it forever. So amazing!

I wanted to tell you, we're hosting a holiday recipe contest on our blog. The winner gets $200 at Williams-Sonoma, so I hope you'll enter! Anyway, here's where to submit your recipe: http://www.classesandcareers.com/education/2010/11/03/the-busy-moms-holiday-recipe-contest/

Have a wonderful day!

k.somerville said...

well I was thinking about you today because my new thing is to cook up some oatmeal and throw a generous dollop of the apple butter you gave me into it. It's like dessert! You should enter the contest!

Don't Make Me Call My Flying Monkeys! said...

Cool, a contest! I never win anything. K, I am gonna do it!! Thanks for the encouragement. If you are up here in my neck of the woods again, bring that jar and I will replenish it with yet another tasty treat!

Other Post to Check Out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...