Google Translator

Saturday, April 14, 2012

1+1+1 = ?

Never in a million years would I have thought that I would be making what I made for this challenge.


I had a concoction like this one in a little Italian restaurant probably 20 years ago and remember being surprised that it tasted so good.  Flash forward to today and when I saw the Daring Cooks Challenge this dessert popped into my head again....for the first time in 20 years!

The challenge: choose one ingredient from each list provided and make something yummy.


My three ingredients:
List 1 - Parsnips, Eggplant, Cauliflower  
List 2 - Balsamic vinegar, Goat Cheese, Chipotle peppers 
List 3 - Maple syrup, Instant Coffee, Bananas

I didn't remember what this freaky dessert was called so I had a rough time finding a recipe for it but did eventually run across Rosetta and her recipe for Melanzane al cioccolato or eggplants and chocolate.  I made a lot of changes to the ingredients but the idea is the same. 

Eggplant as the packaging.....check
Goat cheese to replace ricotta in the filling.....check
Instant coffee in the chocolate sauce.....check

What I discovered was that this is a labor intensive dish and the eggplant soaked up and then released, what seemed like a lot of the oil it was cooked in.  It didn't ruin the taste of the dish but it did leave a very small oil slick on the plate when it was served. 





I did have one more problem and that was that I didn't wait long enough for it to set when it was done baking and, as you can see, I ended up with a very free form blob of tasty mess.  It really took till the next day for the whole dish to hard set and then it resembled a chocolate lasagna but I forgot to take a picture of it.


I added the almonds and some crushed up Italian shortbread cookies to the top.  I know that this picture looks more like a chicken cutlet with a mole than eggplant and chocolate but either way this was extra tasty.  Will I make this again?  I might, but I will probably not make so much.  I would halve or quarter the recipe and make it part of a tasting rather than the main attraction.  What I will say is that my 7 year old LOVED it even after he found out that it was eggplant and that can't be bad!  I am also thinking that the best part of the whole thing was the eggplant in cinnamon and sugar so I am going to have to make a sugared eggplant chip and I bet that it would be delicious!

Here is my version of the eggplant and chocolate dessert.

With that success behind me, I decided to try another combo.  How about...

List 1 - Parsnips, Eggplant, Cauliflower  
List 2 - Balsamic vinegar, Goat Cheese, Chipotle peppers 
List 3 - Maple syrup, Instant Coffee, Bananas

How about a blackberry, maple syrup and balsamic braised chicken and cauliflower?  Let's try it.







The color was a little all encompassing but that was to be expected.  This was really fantastic and I might do some more experimenting with this one using a different meat.  I think pork would be fabulous!


Here is the recipe for the Blackberry Balsamic Cauliflower Chicken.

Thanks to Karen and David from Twenty-Fingered Cooking for a really fun challenge and, as always, be sure to visit The Daring Kitchen to see what other amazing dishes were created this month!







Our April 2012 Daring Cooks hosts were David & Karen from Twenty-Fingered Cooking. They presented us with a very daring and unique challenge of forming our own recipes by using a set list of ingredients!

Did you have a good time? Did you enjoy this post? Let me know and leave a comment. Share the post with your family and friends on your favorite social media or subscribe with an email address and help other people to discover Don’t Make Me Call My Flying Monkeys, that will help our little blog grow and our monkeys can keep doing what they do best - FLY. Thank you for all of your support. The Monkey Queen                             

9 comments:

Susie Bee on Maui said...

Wow, that is the most creative recipe from the lists I've seen, nice job!

Jenni said...

Oh wow! Both of these dishes are really awesome and creative! I would love to try a bite (or two) of both! :)

Cher Rockwell said...

THAT is creative & definitely in the spirit of the challenge. Woo hoo!

Bryt said...

You can't go wrong with chocolate for sure!! Looks wonderful :)

Vanessa [theteensytinyinsignificantdetails] said...

That looks great! I'm glad I'm not the only person who made a dessert - I made cake based on eggplant with goat cheese maple frosting because I ran out of days to make a main meal. My organisation skills are awesome :)

chef_d said...

I love the eggplant-ricotta cheese and instant coffee dish! Great job

Ruth Ellis said...

Both of these dishes look fantastic! I love the thought of the pork and blackberries too. If I find some this autumn, I'll have to remember to try it. And the chocolate aubergine 'lasagne' sounds amazing!!!! Pushing Daring to the limits ;o)

David said...

Wow, I never would have thought to use eggplant in a sweet dish like that! I'll need to try that sometime soon -- great job!

Don't Make Me Call My Flying Monkeys! said...

Thanks y'all for visiting and saying such nice things. I am always so impressed with what people come up with but this challenge was a barn burner! I love all of the creativity and now I have a ton of recipes to try out.

Other Post to Check Out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...